Tuesday, January 2, 2018

My OT Story: By Michele Berro

I happened upon OT somewhere on my path to becoming a social worker and due to the soft spot in my heart for kids with developmental disabilities. OT was a perfect fit with my social justice leanings, my belief in intrinsic motivation, and my personal value of daily routines and meaningful activities. How could this awesome profession be hidden from my view until my last year of college?! I couldn’t wait to immerse myself in everything occupational therapy! I enrolled in the OTA program at LACC while finishing my senior year at UCLA. I graduated from UCLA and LACC the same June and immediately went to work as an OTA while simultaneously taking prerequisites for the Master’s program in OT at USC. I started my OT career in mental health and loved it! After several years I switched to acute rehab and loved that too! I have had the opportunity to work as staff OT, supervisor, academic instructor, and OT director. I finally found my way to Rancho – a place like no other. The history, the mission, the patients and staff are truly inspirational!! What a privilege! As we celebrate our 100th anniversary I thank our courageous founders for conceiving such a worthy profession, one I continue to believe in after nearly 40 years of practice! What luck to have found OT, a career I’ve always considered a calling rather than a job! Here’s to the next 100 years. Long live OT!!    

By: Michele Berro, OTR/L

No comments:

Post a Comment